The Boston Red Sox made five roster moves on Tuesday morning, with four of the five involving former Sea Dogs. 1B/OF Mark Hamilton was the other player re-assigned – he’s expected to start the year in Triple-A Pawtucket.
1. Outfielder Alex Hassan (2011)…Played a career-high 126 games with the Sea Dogs in ’11, hitting .291 (132-for-454) with 13 homers and 64 RBI…Hassan, a Quincy Mass native, homered at Future’s at Fenway that season. 2013 Forecast: Due to a stress fracture in his foot, he hasn’t played this spring…He’ll probably start the year on Pawtucket’s disabled list.
2. Outfielder Jeremy Hazelbaker (2011-12)…Established career-highs last season in homers (19) and RBI (64), appearing in 114 games with Portland…Hazelbaker was 33 of 44 in stolen base attempts and made his Triple-A debut on August 27th. 2013 Forecast: Will start the season in Pawtucket.
3. Outfielder J.C. Linares (2010, 12)…Health, health and health. That’s the buzzword for Linares. Due to the Red Sox keeping more pitchers on the Opening Day roster last season, Linares started the season in Portland….He hit .333 (70-for-210) with 8 homers and 33 RBI in 58 games. On June 22nd, he was promoted to Pawtucket and went 4-for-6. He’s one of the best pure hitters in the system, but health is an issue. 2013 Forecast: Will start the season in Triple-A Pawtucket.
3. Pitcher Steven Wright (2012)…The Red Sox and the Sea Dogs have a good history with Knuckleballers…Traded to the Red Sox by Cleveland in exchange for INF Lars Anderson (former Sea Dog) on July 31, 2012…Wright was traded while in town with the Akron Aeros and was the last person to know he was traded. During Sea Dogs’ batting practice, many of us in the media were staring at Wright as he made his way to the clubhouse after a bullpen session. Of course we saw the news on Twitter. Wright had this to say about that day “It was kind of crazy, I saw everyone looking at me and I thought I was being called up to Triple-A,” said Wright. Below is the full interview with Wright
Quick hits from the World Baseball Classic: Former Sea Dog Anthony Rizzo is the lineup for Team Italy but also former Rock Cat Chris Colabello…Colabello is a native of Milford, Mass and attended Assumption College in Worcester (MA). Last season, he clubbed 5 of his 19 homers at Hadlock Field.
I know these days are tough, the snow falling outside around New England puts a damper on thinking of baseball actually happening soon. As we’ve seen in the past, the snow can melt quickly. But don’t quote me on that!
The Sea Dogs open up their 20th season on April 4th against the Trenton Thunder (Yankees affiliate)…For those who aren’t up-to-date on our lovely technology, you can order tickets online.
- Charles Johnson coming to Hadlock Field…breakdown of the events here
- Sea Dogs Hosting College Fair on April 23rd
- Bogaerts, Bradley knocking on big league door – redsox.com news
Former Sea Dogs in the World Baseball Classic
- Mitch Dening (Australia)
- Ray Chang (China)
- Che-Hsuan Lin (Chinese-Taipei)
- Hanley Ramirez (Dominican Republic)
- Anthony Rizzo (Italy)
- Miguel Gonzalez (Mexico)
- Luis Mendoza (Mexico)
- Adrian Gonzalez (Mexico)
- Rick Renteria MGR. (Mexico)
- Xander Bogaerts (Netherlands)
- Anibal Sanchez (Venezuela)
Listen to my interview on the Minor League report with my baseball buddies Jay Burnham and Mike Passanissi
Enjoy the weekend! There’s plenty of baseball to watch.