Results tagged ‘ Alex Hassan ’
Today I traveled down to Sarasota, Florida to watch the Sea Dogs take on the Bowie Baysox. Baltimore’s minor league complex is separate from the big-league complex, so I was unable to get any updates on the Major League game.
Final Line score
R H E
Portland 2 9 3
Bowie 5 9 2
Boxscore for Portland
Meneses SS/2B (0-3, BB)
Coyle 2B (2-for3, 2 1B, SB, RS)
De La Cruz RF (1-3, 1B)
Vitek 3B (1-4, 1B)
Jacobs LF (0-1, HB, BB)
LeBlanc LF (0-2)
Wilkerson CF (1-2, 1B, SB, RS)
Johnson CF (0-2)
Almanzar 1B (0-2)
Hedman 1B (0-2)
Flacco DH (2-for-4, RBI, 2 1B, 2 K)
Blair C (0-2)
Natoli EH/SS (1-2, 1B, BB)
Kyle Kaminska 4.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Nefi Ogando 1.1 IP, 0 H, BB
Charle Rosario IP, BB, 2 SO
Kyle Kraus IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER
Robby Scott IP, H
Quick hits from today….
- I thought this was baseball? Two football connections in Sarasota – Bowie’s John Ruettiger (Rudy’s nephew) playing for Bowie…Michael Flacco (Joe’s brother) for Portland
- Former Sea Dogs Jeff Corsaletti surprised me with a guest appearance…Corsaletti is an assistant coach for an area Sarasota High School Baseball team…They were getting set to play after the minor league games.
- Former Sea Dogs in the Baltimore system who were in appearance: Manny Delcarmen, Luis Exposito, Miguel Gonzalez and Yamaico Navarro.
- During Spring Training, most of the Triple-A coaching staff is assisting in the big leagues…Portland’s coaching staff worked the Pawtucket game, while the Salem staff worked the Portland contest.
- I had a chance to chat with these former Sea Dogs: Bryce Brentz, Ryan Dent, Derik Gibson, Alex Hassan, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Alex Wilson and Steven Wright.
- On Tuesday Matt Barnes starts for Portland against New Britain at Boston’s complex.
The Boston Red Sox made five roster moves on Tuesday morning, with four of the five involving former Sea Dogs. 1B/OF Mark Hamilton was the other player re-assigned – he’s expected to start the year in Triple-A Pawtucket.
1. Outfielder Alex Hassan (2011)…Played a career-high 126 games with the Sea Dogs in ’11, hitting .291 (132-for-454) with 13 homers and 64 RBI…Hassan, a Quincy Mass native, homered at Future’s at Fenway that season. 2013 Forecast: Due to a stress fracture in his foot, he hasn’t played this spring…He’ll probably start the year on Pawtucket’s disabled list.
2. Outfielder Jeremy Hazelbaker (2011-12)…Established career-highs last season in homers (19) and RBI (64), appearing in 114 games with Portland…Hazelbaker was 33 of 44 in stolen base attempts and made his Triple-A debut on August 27th. 2013 Forecast: Will start the season in Pawtucket.
3. Outfielder J.C. Linares (2010, 12)…Health, health and health. That’s the buzzword for Linares. Due to the Red Sox keeping more pitchers on the Opening Day roster last season, Linares started the season in Portland….He hit .333 (70-for-210) with 8 homers and 33 RBI in 58 games. On June 22nd, he was promoted to Pawtucket and went 4-for-6. He’s one of the best pure hitters in the system, but health is an issue. 2013 Forecast: Will start the season in Triple-A Pawtucket.
3. Pitcher Steven Wright (2012)…The Red Sox and the Sea Dogs have a good history with Knuckleballers…Traded to the Red Sox by Cleveland in exchange for INF Lars Anderson (former Sea Dog) on July 31, 2012…Wright was traded while in town with the Akron Aeros and was the last person to know he was traded. During Sea Dogs’ batting practice, many of us in the media were staring at Wright as he made his way to the clubhouse after a bullpen session. Of course we saw the news on Twitter. Wright had this to say about that day “It was kind of crazy, I saw everyone looking at me and I thought I was being called up to Triple-A,” said Wright. Below is the full interview with Wright
Quick hits from the World Baseball Classic: Former Sea Dog Anthony Rizzo is the lineup for Team Italy but also former Rock Cat Chris Colabello…Colabello is a native of Milford, Mass and attended Assumption College in Worcester (MA). Last season, he clubbed 5 of his 19 homers at Hadlock Field.