Results tagged ‘ Robert Ford ’
Today is my last day in Ft. Myers, and just the way the schedule works, I’ll be able to watch the Sea Dogs at 1 PM and the Red Sox at 7:05. I’m hoping to have video footage of John Farrell announcing the final roster.
Thanks to Robert Ford, the voice of the Houston Astros for passing this information to me earlier. Former Sea Dog Josh Fields has made the Astros. Fields was not protected by the Red Sox last season and claimed by Houston in the MLB Phase of the Rule 5 draft. If Fields did not make the Opening Day roster, he would have returned to Boston. Also, Houston could have kept him longer if he was placed on the disabled list – something similar to what Boston did with OF Adam Stern a few years ago.
With final roster cuts expected to be announced later today – Jackie Bradley Jr. and Ryan Pressly could join Fields in the Major Leagues…All three played in Portland last season.
I’ll have updates throughout the afternoon as the Sea Dogs battle the Rock Cats in exhibition action…Anthony Ranaudo is expected to start for Portland.
- Tickets are available for Opening Day (April 4) vs. Trenton on seadogs.com
- Former Sea Dog Stolmy Pimentel had a great camp with the Pirates and will start the season in Double-A Altoona.
- Patriots DE Rob Ninkovich will make a guest appearance at Hadlock Field on May 8th.
- Former Sox lefty Erik Bedard has won a rotation spot with the Houston Astros…Bedard was traded to Boston in a 3-team trade that involved former Sea Dogs Chih-Hsien Chiang, Tim Federowicz and Stephen Fife…Former Harrisburg Senator Brad Peacock is also in the Astros’ rotation – he was recently traded for former Sea Dog Jed Lowrie.
I’ll have more later!
Check out all the photos from Spring Training 2013 on our Facebook Page
The media coverage in Ft. Myers has been unreal, and I would like to thank everyone who has covered this team, providing us with some unbelievable interviews and pictures. Below is a few links you should check out. I love technology!
- Former voice of the Binghamton Mets’ and current broadcaster on the Kansas City Royals Radio Network interviewed former Sea Dogs Tommy Hottovy.
- Former Sea Dogs Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez taking live batting practice against another former Sea Dog video courtesy of Mike Petraglia
- Jon Lester getting his work in courtesy of NESN
- Hall of Famer Peter Gammons says Felix Doubront is a player to watch this season
- Jacoby Ellsbury’s twitter page with pics of his conditioning
Wow, that didn’t take long…Injuries already piling up
- I was the broadcaster in Erie during the 2004 season, and loved watching Joel Zumaya pitch…tough to see him out for the season. I thought that was a great pickup for the Twins.
- Speaking of closers, Chris Perez of the Indians is out 4 to 6 weeks with an oblique strain.
- From Matt Snyder of CBS sports.com “Cardinals utility man extraordinaire Allen Craig is ahead of schedule in his recovery from knee surgery, reports MLB.com. “
- Atlanta Braves starting pitcher Tommy Hanson returned to the field on Sunday in Florida, marking the first time he’s suited up since suffering a concussion in a car accident Monday.
What’s the first thing you think of when you here Welcome Back? For me, it’s Welcome Back Kotter, anyone else? Can’t help but think of those great TV shows from my childhood. But to serious matters, on April 3rd at the Portland Expo the Sea Dogs will hold their annual Welcome Back dinner in conjunction with Youth Alternatives Ingraham. This is your chance to get autographs, photos and maybe some hitting tips from my favorite players.
With the Grammy’s on Sunday night, here’s my Top 1o list of Athletes Turned Actors.
- Jim Brown – Pro Sports Career: Played football for the Cleveland Browns from 1957 to 1965.
- Carl Weathers – Pro Sports Career: Played football for the Oakland Raiders & the British Columbia Lions from 1970-1974.
- Chuck Connors – Pro Sports Career: Played baseball for the Chicago Cubs & Brooklyn Dodgers from 1949 to 1951. Connors also played basketball for the Boson Celtics from 1946-1948.
- Fred Dryer – Pro Sports Career: Played football for the New York Giants & Los Angeles Rams from 1969-1981.
- Merlin Olsen – Pro Sports Career: Played football for the Los Angeles Rams from 1962-1976 and was known as one of the “The Fearsome Foursome”.
- Alex Karras – Pro Sports Career: Played football for the Detroit Lions from 1958-1962 & 1964-1970
- Bob Uecker – Pro Sports Career: Played Baseball with Milwaukee Braves, St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies & Atlanta Braves from 1962-1967
- Rick Fox – Pro Sports Career: Played Basketball with Boston Celtics & Las Angeles Lakers from 1991 to 2004.
- Terry Bradshaw – Pro Sports Career: NFL Quarterback for the Pittsburgh Stealers
- Ray Allen- Pro Sports Career…Hey, I’m from Boston, I loved He’s Got Game
Have a great start to the week…Can’t wait to watch baseball again. Seems like the off-season was quick, yet long. Does that make any sense?