Results tagged ‘ Will Middlebrooks ’
After two days without getting a full game in, the Sea Dogs traveled to Minnesota’s complex on Wednesday afternoon to play New Britain. The Rock Cats used a two-run seventh to beat Portland 5-4. Former Sea Dog Reynaldo Rodriguez had the game-winning hit, delivering a run-scoring infield single.
Portland had nine hits in the contest, but most of the starters in today’s game could be somewhere else once the dust finally settles. Shannon Wilkerson had a sensational day, going 1-for-2 with a double and two walks. Wilkerson made a great diving catcher in centerfield in the first inning. Keury De La Cruz, Bo Greenwell, Jonathan Roof and Aneury Taverez had run-scoring hits.
Wilfredo Boscan started for Portland and featured a sharp curveball. Robby Scott and Matty Ott closed out the game in relief.
Nice to see former Sea Dog Tony Thomas play for New Britain. He went 0-for-2 and struck out to end the game. During minor league exhibition games, the home team will still bat in the ninth if they’re leading.
Faces in the Crowd
- Had a long conversation with former Sea Dog Ryan Pressly. He was a MLB Rule 5 pick by the Twins in 2013. He was just sent to Triple-A Rochester, but he’ll be back in the Majors. Great perspective and a great person.
- Daniel Nava played in the Triple-A game and batted almost every inning…Alex Hassan and Bryce Brentz homered in Pawtucket’s 10-1 win over Rochester.
- The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo was at the minor league games.
- Spent the day watching the games with new PawSox broadcaster Josh Mauer and Rochester’s voice Josh Whetzel.
- Weird to see Miguel Gonzalez beat Allen Webster at the Major League game – both are former Sea Dogs.
- David Ortiz was holding court in the dugout during batting practice this morning.
- Tony LaRussa was at the Twins Complex today, explaining the new replay rules to Ron Gardenhire.
- Most of the fans at the Twins Complex was asking me if Greenwell was Mike’s son – yes he is.
- My interview with Jackie Bradley Jr. from this morning.
RHP Stolmy Pimentel (0-0, 3.60) gets the start in the series finale against Trenton’s LHP Shaeffer Hall (2-3, 3.72)…Portland has dropped 12 of their 16 games, including 4 of 5 this homestand…Tomorrow night, the ‘Dogs open up a three-game weekend series against the Rock Cats (Twins affiliate) in New Britain, Connecticut.
Lineups for Thursday
Trenton: A. Almonte 9, Brewer 7, Mustelier 5, Johnson DH, Mesa 8, Murton 3, Mahoney 4, Molina 2, Maruszak 6, Hall LHP
Portland: Gibson 6, Vitek 5, Linares 9, Rodriguez 3, Tejeda 7, Brentz 9, Berumudez 8, Spring 2, Dent 6, Pimentel RHP
You can listen to Sea Dogs Baseball on the tunein app – link to their website or seadogs.com
RADIO NETWORK: Catch every game on the U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network: Flagship Stations: WPEI 95.9 FM & WPPI 95.5 FM (Portland/Topsham)…Network Affiliates: WOXO 92.7 FM Norway, WTBM 100.7 FM Mexico, WERZ 1240 AM Lewiston/Auburn, WTME 780 AM Rumford, WKTQ 1450 AM South Paris…Online: seadogs.com & milb.com and IPAD/Smartphone: Tunein app – search Portland Sea Dogs Radio Network.